Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My husband the hunter! (Viewer discretion is advised!)

OK, so I will be the first to tell you I have mixed emotions about Mike being a "hunter." Growing up, my dad never hunted or anything, and I was never against it, I just didn't plan on doing in my family. When I lived in Roosevelt I saw my fair share (which included seeing Julie's brother butchering his deer on their kitchen TABLE!! Not an image I am losing anytime soon) And I realized how great of a tradition is can be for families, especially fathers & sons--but again, not something I thought I'd have in my family. I married a boy from American Fork, thought I had a "city slicker" and it turns out I was wrong! Don't get me wrong, I love county boys as much as the rest, just never thought I'd see the day when my husband would bring me home a deer instead of the bacon. I have questioned him as to why he wanted to hunt many times, and he explained to me that his dad never did these kind of things with him, and he wants to be able to do them with our boys. How do you argue with that?? So every year I have gotten him off for the hunt, and every year I have secretly prayed in my heart he wouldn't come home with anything! I know that makes me aweful, and I wanted him to get something for his ego, but not bring it home. SO this year he goes out with a different group of guys than he has in the past (Remind me to thank you Mike & Dustin!!) and he was so excited because he said it was pretty much guaranteed he'd get a deer--they always do. Sure enough, first thing in the morning--he got it. I am genuinely happy for him, even if I don't sound like it, and am even willing to try the meat. I am glad he decided to have it professionally butchered, especially since he mentioned doing it on the kitchen table! I told him only if he was planning on buying me a new kitchen table. (not a bad idea acutally--hmm....) I'll be sure to let you know how it tastes--anyone's welcome! He had fun, and that's what really matters. I am happy for him to get to do something for himself--he works so hard for us. Bailey asked why he was going hunting, and when I told her he was going to kill a deer, she about started crying, and said "Why--deer are nice?" I explained that people hunt the deer because if there gets to be too many, there won't be enough food, and they'll die. Hard thing to understand, but I am sure as the kids get older, and we get that trailer we dream of, we'll all go and see what all the fuss is about.
I am only posting this one--show's the least amount of gore.
OK, and this one--nice hands babe. I asked him if he washed his hands REALLY well before he touched me! I asked him if now that he's shot and cleaned one he still wants to keep going he said "Oh ya!"
Dustin took 2 of his boys with him. Mike said they did so well, and made him realize maybe he can take Tyler next year (I added that last part--Mike thinks it will be a while, but Tyler really wants to go. And he loves blood & gore)
This is William asleep in the Suburban--probably while the men folk were taking care of Mike's kill.
And Connor--how sweet! So cute in their Orange shirts.
Dustin & the boys. What a great papa!

3 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

why do dead deer always stick their tongues out? It seems like I have always seen that in pics like this... Mike looks great, though. Mission accomplished!

Like I said, I tried venison for the first time a couple of weeks ago and actually liked it quite a bit. Our bishop's wife made a stew out of it and it was really tasty. I'll try to get the recipe for you. Our bishop is a big hunter guy, he even makes and sells animal calls (you know, those things that make the sound of the animal you are trying to shoot). He has told me and a buddy that he'd take us out to some property that they lease to go kill some hogs (they have these wild hogs here that are really gross - not at all beautiful like a deer). I think I could easily kill one of those things... And they're supposed to be pretty good eating, too...

Tiffany said...

I can attest, Mike did in fact wash his hands a number of times :)

Glad he had fun. There is nothing like hunting with the Monsens!

Haley said...

After I heard about Mike's deer riding home in the back of Dustin's suburban, I had to get the whole story. Love your posts. Guess I'll have to stalk your blog now! :)