Monday, December 22, 2008

This ones for MY girl!

So I posted a funny post about Tyler & his wanting to run away a while ago, now this one's for my sweet Bailey. Part of my excuse for Blogging is as a form of Journalling for my kids. For those of you who are reading this and don't know, Bailey was born with a Congenital Heart Defect. Her Pulmonary Valve (leading into her lungs) formed way to narrow, and was not allowing enough blood into her lungs. They found a heart murmur before we left the hospital, and sent us up to Primary Children's, as a precaution. They thought it was a common type of murmur that goes away on it's own, but wanted to be safe. We were just a few blocks away, and went over to Primary Children's thinking it'd be nothing serious and we'd just go home. When the doctor came in and listened to her heart he said it was a "pretty loud murmur" and he'd like her to have an Echocardiogram (ultrasound on the heart) That was 2 hours long, and then we met with the doctor again. He started drawing a picture, and said there was a problem with her heart. He said from just listening he had thought it would be much worse, and she was actually very lucky it was only as bad as it was. They sent us upstairs to be admitted for surgery the next day, and I cried the whole way up there. Everyone was looking at me, and I realized I was being silly, and that there were kids much worse off than mine--but I didn't care! She was less than 2 days old, and I just wanted her to be ok. Tyler had been perfectly healthy, and I just assumed I would have healthy kids. Anyway, long story short, they did the surgery, which was done just like they do an Angioplasty on someone who has plaque in their arteries, but they ballooned open her valve. Since then we have gone back for check ups, and things have been good. Not normal, because she has always had a leak in that valve (sounds kinda like plumbing!) But the doctor said things were looking good, and she could just lead a normal life until she was much older hopefully. On the 12th we went in for her yearly checkup, and I assumed we would just get the same news--things look about the same. The doctor decided to have an echo, which I wasn't thinking they'd do, and when we came back in to see us, he started drawing! I knew something was not right. He asked a lot of questions about her activity level, and I told him that she is a crazy girl! She had a cold a few weeks before, and it was actually nice to have her chill out for a couple of days. He said the leak in her valve has gotten "significantly worse" and it was now affecting another valve, and causing her heart to enlarge. He put her on some medication to decrease the volume of her blood, to take some strain off of her heart. Hopefully it works, if not he said they have a few more "tricks up their sleeve" And if they don't work, she will need open heart surgery to replace her valve. The though of my wild & crazy girl having open heart surgery is just not one I want to have!! I knew it was a possibility, but I was hoping to be the exception. So hard, but I am holding strong to my faith, and the faith of my family & friends. I am just praying this medicine works, and all will be well in Zion! Or at least with Bailey. Tyler has been asking a lot of questions about it since he has heard me talk to people about it, and I am amazed at how much he is understanding. Bailey could care less, but that's great. Tyler came running up the stairs the other day so worried because he had drank out of the same cup as Bailey, and was concerned he might catch her heart problem! I explained it was something she was born with, and not contagious. I guess the main thing all of this has helped me realize is life is short, and precious. You cannot ever get complacent, because you never know what's around the corner. I have been hugging her a little tighter, and smiling at her craziness instead of getting frustrated so easily. She is my little Sunshine girl, and here's to many more crazy times!!
We had to wait a while for the doctor, and Bailey was getting restless. I tried to entertain her by taking pictures. These ones were sweet of her looking out the window.



She took some of the doctor from under the chair where she was hiding. This is Dr. Mart--he is so great! He has something like 15 kids. It is nice to have an LDS doctor--he has the same perspective on things as we do.


This one was just funny--she dressed up in Tyler's clothes. I must have needed to do laundry.


Just thought I'd include this one of Kyle. He has been doing pretty well with the Tree, aside from these ornaments that he has in his hand, which he thinks are soccer balls. Luckily they were WAY cheap from when were first got married, and are just hard plastic, not glass.

4 comments:

Shanna said...

OH I am so sorry! When I was still pregnant with Zayne they thought that he had not developed one of his ventricles and that meant immediate surgery after birth or he would die. I was freaked out. It took three diffrent ultrasounds over a month and a half to finally figure out that he was fine and he was just being stubborn and not being in the right poisition to see it. What a relief! So I am so sorry for all the stress! Have a very merry Christmas!!!

audge8 said...

Lindsey- Bailey is a strong girl because she has a strong mom...you guys will get through this! We will keep your family in our prayers. We love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I wish I knew why things work out the way they do, why our beautiful children have to go through so much. I know you would choose, like I would, to take Bailey's place in a heartbeat, rather than having her go through this. My heart aches for you and Mike.

But Bailey has come through so much already, and not just when she was a newborn. Our loving Father has sent her here with a specific purpose in mind. She has come through more than one critical time in her life, and she will come through this one. You will all come out on the other side of this stronger and happier, because you will have learned even more about how much our Father loves us and cares for us.

You are all in our prayers. I love you so much.

Ruth

andersons said...

I'm sorry you guys have to go through all that. It sounds like there is a lot they can do to help her and I am sure she will be fine. :)